Scirvir, the Wanderer
Scirvir, the Wanderer is an NPC in Demon's Souls and Demon's Souls Remake. NPCs are the various characters that are encountered by the player throughout their journey. NPCs provide information, others are quest givers, while some are categorized as Merchants and/or Blacksmiths whom you can trade with or request for certain services.
Scirvir, The Wanderer is a plunderer who entered Boletaria through the fog in hopes of pillaging the riches of the deceased. He's found himself trapped deep within a mineshaft of the Stonefang Tunnel. His search for the Dragon Bone Smasher is outlined when speaking with him.
Scirvir, the Wanderer Information
Pure White World Tendency
- Appears in Body form, looking for the Dragon Bone Smasher
- Gives a Pure Greystone if shown the Dragon Bone Smasher
- Drops Ronin's Ring if Killed
Pure Black World Tendency
Appears as a Black Phantom
- Black Phantom Scirvir's Total Vitality: 2068 HP First Playthrough. NG+ 4310
- Black Phantom Scirvir's Total Intelligence: 320 MP (at least)
- Casts Fireball, Fire Spray and Ignite
- Killing him shifts the World Tendency back to neutral
- Has limited Magic points — dodge his Fireball spell to deplete his Magic points
- If the player dies after killing Black Phantom Scirvir and have not picked up the Talisman of Beasts, it will appear at his spawn point after a reload or revisit.
- Drops a Talisman of Beasts if killed
Scirvir, the Wanderer Location: Where to Find Scirvir, the Wanderer
- Can be found at Stonefang Tunnel, Armor Spider Archstone, inside a blocked tunnel next to two Crystal Lizards.
- Scirvir, the Wanderer is a special NPC that only appears when the World Tendency is in an extreme state. In Pure White World Tendency, he appears in living body from. Equip the Dragon Bone Smasher and talk to him to get a Pure Greystone. In Pure Black World Tendency, he appears as Black Phantom and drops the Talisman of Beasts if you kill him.
- Video Location: Shown in our walkthrough video N7 at 48:10. Click here to watch it.
Scirvir, the Wanderer Strategies
Block and Counter
- This is a straight melee approach, punishing Scirvir with multiple hits. Scirvir deals powerful Fire damage, using Fireball, Ignite and Fire Spray. To reduce damage dealt, bring along the following: A shield that blocks well both Physical/Fire damage, such as the Large Brushwood Shield, Tower Shield, or Purple Flame Shield. Use gear which has high Fire resistance, including the Ring of Flame Resistance, Armor Sets including Brushwood, Ancient King's (Male only), or Binded (Female only). The Dragon Bone Smasher also has Fire resistance properties when upgraded. Other options include the Water Veil, or Anti-Magic Field which will disable his casting abilities for 60 seconds.
- Black Phantom Scirvir will cast Regeneration when he sees you, but you can interrupt this with the Thief's Ring. When you approach him, back-stab him before he can cast Regeneration. Your next goal is to drain his Magic points. Start by luring Scirvir away from his idle spot in the back. Since dodging is a key component of this fight, this area is not exactly sufficient for doing so. Once Scirvir is out in a more open spot you should dodge his magic more effectively. Move side to side, but be cautious of changing directions just as he casts. His Fireball deal a lot of damage, and drain a lot of stamina when trying to block them. Using gear/items with high Fire resistance and high Vitality, you should be able to endure one unblocked shot, and maintain a decent blocking capacity. His Fire Spray deals less damage, traveling both faster and casts quicker than his Fireball. Continue to strafe, moving side to side. Use your surroundings to your advantage. There is a wooden post to the right of his location that should be helpful when trying to heal. Continue dodging Scirviruntil he's out of Magic points; always be cautious, he may still have some points left to cast Fire Spray. Scirvir always resorts to full melee when he's out of Magic points. Things get easier once he's depleted his Magic points. Block and counterScirvir when he staggers. Blocking is important, as he hits hard with his sword. Using a more powerful weapon capable of Knockdown may speed up the process. Continue until dead.
Meat Cleaver Strategy
- Equip Meat Cleaver in your right hand. In your off-hand slot, equip a Talisman Of God, as well as any shield that absorbs 100% Physical damage. For the most efficient movement, equip a lighter armor set, or mix and match pieces. Armor is not as important here. For spells, you'll need to use Warding. Equip Eternal Warrior's Ring in one slot, and a ring of your choosing in the other.
- After landing on the platform, proceed forward towards him without hesitation. Seeing your approach, he'll most likely start casting Regeneration; to avoid the casting, proceed to knock him down. Once he's standing, block with your shield (he almost always will attack, but be cautious of his fire spell). If you're dying because of his fire spell, switch to the Large Brushwood Shield. This shield absorbs both 100% Physical/Fire damage. After blocking, he will stagger backwards; hit him with a normal swing (R1), knocking him down again. Immediately following a connected hit, switch to your Talisman Of God and cast Warding. After casting the Miracle, continue with another hit. This will again knock him down. However, if your timing is off and you're hit, Warding helps protect you from certain death.
- Timing is a key element to this strategy. It may take some time to learn it. Being successful in Demon's Souls is as much about patience as it is about mastering the systems.
- All characters can equip a Dagger. Equip an armor set with a penalty of 3 or less (see Armor Sets). Keep an eye on your stamina regeneration. Cornering Scirvir is essential here. Coincidently there is a corner just for that (to the right, at the end of the cave). Once cornered, he will either swing at you or attempt to heal. In either case, your Dagger can stun him before he succeeds. Depending on your stats, relevant to the Dagger, the time this strategy will take varies. It almost always works *once Scivir is cornered*.
Melee - Soul Remains
- Prior to approaching Scirvir, equip your strongest weapon and the Graverobber's Ring; this will allow you to move in close and begin. Throw a Soul Remains at the wall, he will then cast a fire spell or attack it with his sword. Walk down the left of the tunnel. Now aim a Soul Remains towards the back wall. He will follow and cast/attack. Now take this chance to sneak up and hit him hard. When the combo is finished, throw another Soul Remains so he switches targets. Rinse and repeat.
Backstab - Soul Remains
- Bring about 20 Soul Remains and equip the Thief's Ring or Graverobber's Ring. After landing, target him and throw Soul Remains at him. As will other enemies, he will attack the glowing remains, allowing you to approach and successfully execute 1-2 back-stabs. After the Soul Remains disappear, continue to throw more. No healing items necessary, and Soul Remains cost only 500 souls. Acquire them from Patches, the Hyena in the Nexus.
Backstab - Bow
- Drop to the platform that is on the same level as Scirvir. (If you're facing his cave, it's along the left wall.) Equip the Thief's ring or Graverobber's Ring and start firing arrows to draw him out; stop firing when he's fully outside. From there, he should turn around and head back into the cave. Rush in and back stab him just as he's reaching his idle point. Retreat back to the platform. Continue these steps until dead.
- Note: When using arrows frequently, he may dodge to the side and return to his idle spot. Shoot one arrow, wait 4-5 steps and shoot another. After he turns around, sprint up and back-stab. When his health gets low enough he may resort to shooting fireballs at the back of the cave, dodging his way towards the cave opening. He will return to his idle spot; continue this tactic, saving arrows in the process.
- Equip your best Bow and drop onto the last platform before his location. Try staying at the far-left end of the platform, positioning yourself away from the obstructing pillar. The Thief's Ring is optional here, which will decrease his movements. Using the Clever Rat's Ring and/or the Morion Blade, helps to speed up the process. Launch a few arrows until he gets close enough and then stop until he starts falling back to his original position. If you see him cast Regeneration, start launching arrows so that you can stun him or he will heal. Continue until he is dead.
- If he gets within lock-on range, he's easier to hit and will not roll in lock-on range. Note that if you are on the left of the planks, facing the cave, and he is at the end of the platform just below (the closest he can get to you), locking on and attacking you with his fire spell is possible. To avoid this, fall back slightly; just enough so that you can lock-on, but he cannot.
Kunai Strategy (Poison)
- Buy 5-10 kunai from the Blige in Shrine of Storms or Adjudicator Archstone. Cast Cloak, proceed to targeting range of Scirvir and hit him with a few Kunai until poisoned. Direct damage will display, as will a sound effect within the game. This is your confirmation that he's been poisoned. Run and hide without leaving the platform and wait for him to die.
Poison Cloud/Death Cloud
- Another easy strategy is to use either Poison Cloud/Death Cloud spell on him. With the Thief's Ring equipped (or the Graverobber's Ring, if he's a Black Phantom), walk toward him until you are just inside lock-on range. You should be able to cast your spells without drawing his attention.
- The following is required: Soulsucker, Graverobber's Ring, below 50% equip burden (remove armor if needed). Get to the landing that you can find Scirvir on. Now, make sure your Wooden Catalyst or Silver Catalyst is equipped; when ready sprint towards him until you're in range and let Soulsucker do the rest. He will try to cast a spell giving you enough time to cast successfully. There you go, both an easy kill and double the souls.
- Once he has fallen and you acquire his souls, just load profile, revisit, or make your way down to the bottom to claim the Talisman of Beasts.
Sometimes he survives, landing on a lower ledge. Reload profile and he will be back at his idle spot.
Note: Killing Black Phantom Scirvir with a fatal fall does not change your Character Tendency.
- Drop down and lure him towards the edge. Scirvir rolls when pressured, similar to Satsuki, so pressuring him with melee will often result in him rolling over the edge.
- Alternatively, lure him out and then drop onto the platform to the right of his cave. If you stand just right, you can put the wooden posts between you and his fire, and he'll eventually run out of Magic points. You can't get back up, but once Scirvir switches to melee mode he occasionally rolls, and this close to the edge he may go right off.
- This strategy will require you to equip an extra large weapon with knockdown, such as the Great Axe, Meat Cleaver or Stormruler. To start, run straight through the tunnel and down to his location using the shortcut. When you drop down, castAnti-Magic Field (for those that can). Slowly lure him towards the edge. Run towards him, and position yourself away from the cliff facing it. You want him to be between you and the cliff's edge. If you have Anti-Magic Field, his casting abilities will be disabled for 60 seconds following the casting. This gives you a chance to hit him with R1, knocking him down and sliding him backwards. Continue to hit with R1, which eventually pushes him off the cliff. This method should only take 3-4 hits to succeed.
- Alternatively, you can cast Firestorm or God's Wrath for the same knockdown effect.
Scirvir, the Wanderer Dialogue
First encounter (Pure White World Tendency)
- You nearly frightened me to death! Creeping up on me like that…
My name is Scirvir. I seek treasures of the unknown. I'm impressed you've come this far.
Were you guided by a sixth sense? Or a brash imprudence? Either way, you've more skill than I.
Let us put that skill to work?
There is a temple beyond here, below the ground.
It is a work of art, molded by the ancient burrowers to appease the bones of dragons.
As a precaution, a broad sword which can crush bone and slay dragon is stored in the temple.
Truth told, it is the laughing stock of many a swordsmith. They say it's as blunt as a bludgeon.
A dull blade made to slay a dragon… Curious, is it not?
I would search for it myself, but I'm afraid I'd fare poorly against the Demons.
If you happen to come upon the sword, please let me have a look at it.
This place is magnificent, eh? The bones of dragons excuding ore… A dream come true!
- Hmm, no luck finding it, eh? Perhaps it's not there after all.
Or, it could have been melted in the lava. 'Tis a pity.
Second encounter (with Dragon Bone Smasher)
- Oh, you… Demons? Sorry, friend, I have no interest.
I love Boletaria for what she is. A place of odd wonders.
Strange faces… wielding strange trinkets… hiding in strange places.
I'm beginning to think Boletaria is better off now than it used to be.
Hah hah, don't tell anyone I said that! I could get myself into bother if I'm not careful.
- (not wielding Dragon Bone Smasher)
Hey, thats, You found it! Let me have a look!
- (wielding Dragon Bone Smasher)
- Wonderful. The arts of swordsmanship applied in a perfectly useless manner!
Hmm… Ahh… Mm…
Oh, do not mind me. Thank you. It was a pleasure.
Please take this as a small show of thanks.
Take care of that sword, will you? She's a beauty.
- Stop it! I'll come back to haunt you!
- Have you gone mad!? You've nothing to gain by assaulting me!
Scirvir, the Wanderer Notes, Tips, and Trivia
- Voiced by: Jonathan Kydd
His regeneration is the hardest part, and the anti-magic field, obviously, won't work for that.
However, you can use Graverobber's Ring+theif ring and sprint to him from the bonfire.
Sprint right to him, and as soon as he starts buffing himself (he may roll, take few steps or backstep before starting to buff), use soulsucker on him for instakill.
Definitely the toughest BP in the game
Not sure if it’s been stated but you need to have dragon bone smasher in your inventory for his black phantom. If it’s in the storage at the nexus, scirvir’s black phantom will not show up.
I just killed him with poison and now am reading after the fact even though it doesn't mention it anywhere on the page here that it doesn't count for character tendency?!
If you kill him in body form does he no longer show as a black phantom? I can't find him
Ryan Stiles lookin ass
i didn't even know him falling to death wouldn't count towards tendency... fml all these npc bp phantoms have so much health and can easily two-shot you
This dude just walked off the platform, probably just to spite so I couldn't get my character tendency more towards white. This was in ng+ to boot and after having him down two thirds of his health; kinda mad right now.
Guys anti-mage field makes this fight a joke use it. The fight will be much esier. Prob hardest NPC in the entire game
Equip the brushwood shield and make him waste his MP on fireballs before you attack him at all. He's terrible in melee and really won't want to get near you until he can't cast ranged spells anymore. If you don't have the brushwood shield equip something else with high fire resistance, keep it up just in case and walk from side to side, he probably won't even hit you. When he's out of MP he will make the failure animation then come at you with the sword. Dealing with him will be way easier then. If you attack him while he has MP he will just use regeneration and you won't get anywhere.
He's cute :3
On NG+ this ******* took me 30-40 tries to beat. He's ridiculous, and the only way I ended up finally killing him was because he got stuck behind the mine carts near the entrance and I just kept shooting arrows at his head while disrupting his regeneration spells. Hardest fight of the game for me, no joke
I encountered a glitch that allowed me to easily cheese the black phantom. I lured him to the wooden walkway outside and to the right of the cave and had him back up until he was against the wall at the end of the platform. He got stuck in a backwards walking animation and would not attack or defend, allowing me to easily kill him.
If you cheese black phantom Scirvir with poison kunai make sure to get the final killing blow before the poison does. Since my character tendency didn't went toward pure white.
dude gave me ronin ring as black phantom????
when i was slashing him off the cliff...i fell off too. I re-loaded the game, ran all the way back to his location and he wasn't there but the Talisman of Beasts was...so, I guess you can fall off the cliff with him and still be ok. The world is still pure black though, did not seem to shift toward neutral black.
If I kill him as a black phantom and shift the world to pure white will he show up in body form?
If Scirvir isn't where he is supposed to be then does that mean I would have to go to a new playthrough in order to find him?
Does killing the black phantom version shift any tendencies ?
It should be mentioned here that killing this NPC in PWWT will shift you character tendency towards black. Unlike Executioner Miralda and Satsuki which only impact world tendency.
Cheese strat. Grave robber ring + 2x poison Kunai from as far as lock on starts and run away further. He won’t Aggro but get poisoned.
If I kill him after showing him The Dragon Bone Smasher in PW, will he still appear as a Black Phantom in PB?
I have a bug where (even with DBS equipped) he will always say boletaria bla bla then the "talk" option doesn't disappear (even running far away from him), conversation not able to continue...