Character Tendency in Demon's Souls and Demon's Souls Remake is a special mechanic similar to most common morality systems. Demon's Souls Character Tendency determines the propensity of the player to do good deeds (white tendency) or bad deeds (black tendency). This results in special events becoming available to the player as the game progresses.
Character Tendency is specific for your character. Demon's Souls also features World Tendency, which is affected by the world. Each tendency acts on its own and doesn't rely on the other one.
- Playing the game normally without facing many invaders will allow you to reach Pure White Character Tendency by endgame if you have killed all the NPC phantoms. Make sure you get the Ally's Ring from the Monumental at the nexus when you reach it.
- The best time to become Pure Black if you don't like that playstyle is when you are near endgame and ready to go to New Game Plus. Get your Black Character Tendency, do the Mephistopheles Quest, and then move to the next cycle
- Character and World Tendency won't reset in New Game Plus
Demon's Souls Character Tendency
What is Character Tendency in Demon's Souls?
The world of Demon's Souls has an absolute morality system that gives players a specific alignment: toward Black Tendency (Evil) or white tendency (Good). Not to be confused with World Tendency, the Character Tendency mechanic is specific to the player and the actions of the character throughout your playthrough. If you help other players and vanquish evil from the world, you will become purer and your tendency will become White. If you kill NPCs and invade other players as an evil phantom, you will become darker and your tendency will become Black.
What are the effects of Character Tendency in Demon's Souls?
Character Tendency has unique ramifications that allow the player to meet specific NPCs and obtain special quests. Your Character Tendency Also affects the weapons Demonbrandt, Soulbrandt and Northern Regalia.
Listed below are the various events or changes that can trigger for the player's character in both White and Black World Tendency
|White CT||> 90%|
|Black CT||< -50%||
Changing Character Tendency
Defeat invading Black Phantoms Online
- As a Host: Defeat invading Black Phantoms in any world where the boss is still alive. This counts for both Black Eye Stone and Red Eye Stone (+20%)
- As a Blue Phantom in another world: Strike the fatal blow against a Black Phantom - in addition, the host Character Tendency wil also go towards white (+20%)
- The Ivory Tower - Defeat Old Monk in Online Mode (+20%)
Defeat unique named NPC Black Phantoms which appear only with Pure Black World Tendency.
This applies only to these five unique "named" NPC Black Phantoms that appear in Pure Black World Tendency. No other Black Phantoms will affect Character Tendency.
- Gates of Boletaria - Defeat Black Phantom - Executioner Miralda (+20%)
- The Tunnel City - Defeat Black Phantom - Scirvir, the Wanderer (+20%)
- Prison of Hope - Defeat Black Phantom - Lord Rydell (+20%)
- Island's Edge - Defeat Black Phantom - Satsuki (+20%)
- Swamp of Sorrows - Defeat Black Phantom - Selen Vinland (+20%)
Note: Killing these 5 Black Phantom NPC in certain manner (details uncertain) will not trigger the shift in Character Tendency. Here are some tested examples:
- In any world, invade using a Black Eye Stone or a Red Eye Stone and kill the host. (Note that if the host dies to anything other than your damage (environmental damage, enemies, fall damage, self-damage from Magic Sword Makoto, Hiltless, or Cursed Weapon) it will not lower your Character Tendency.)
- In Tower of Latria get summoned by the Old Monk to -kill the host as a Black Phantom. This will lower your Character Tendency regardless of which Eye Stone you used.
Here's a list of NPCs that you can kill to shift the character tendency. Killing these will NOT lower your World Tendency or affect questlines.
- Boletarian Palace - Dregling Merchant (-40%)
- Stonefang Tunnel - Filthy Man (-60%) and Blacksmith Ed (-60%)
- Tower of Latria - Once Royal Mistress (-60%)
- Shrine of Storms - Graverobber Blige (-40%)
- Valley of Defilement - Filthy Woman (-20%)
- The Nexus - Crestfallen Warrior (if not spoken to, he will remain in the Nexus for the duration of the game, or until you kill him) (-40%)
Here's a list of NPCs that you can kill to shift the character tendency. Killing these will NOT lower your World Tendency but WILL affect questlines.
- The Nexus, Boletarian Palace - Biorr, of the Twin Fangs (-40%) and Yuria, the Witch (-30%)
- Stonefang Tunnel, Shrine of Storms - Patches the Hyena (-20%)
- Tower of Latria - Sage Freke (-30%)
- Shrine of Storms - Saint Urbain (40%)
- The Nexus
Kill 3 of the special named NPCs. Killing these will also move World Tendency -60% towards black.
- Stonefang Tunnel - Body Form Scirvir the Wanderer (-40%). Appears only in Pure White World Tendency.
- Tower of Latria - Blue Phantom Lord Rydell (-40%). He has no Tendency requirement to appear, but requires Cell Key from Pure White World Tendency in Upper Latria.
- Valley of Defilement - Body Form Selen Vinland (-40%). Appears only in Pure White World Tendency.
Killing the following Named Black Phantom NPCs has no impact (either way) on Character Tendency (both confirmed).
- The King's Tower - Black Phantom Ostrava, of Boletaria (He appears during any world tendency.)
- Rotting Haven - Black Phantom Garl Vinland (He appears only during Pure White world tendency.)
CT Character Parameters
Character Tendency in Demon's Souls also influences your stats as a Black Phantom and in Soul Form. Listed in the table below, you'll find the following parameters that will influence the various stats for both Black and White Character Tendency.
Max. HP Multiplier
Physical Attack Multiplier
Magical Attack Multiplier
Fire Attack Multiplier
Souls Gained From Multiplier
|Black Phantom Player||Black < -50%||1.00||1.10||1.10||1.10||1.00|
|Black < -90%||1.00||1.20||1.20||1.20||1.00|
|Phantom Player||White > 90%||1.00||1.20||1.20||1.20||1.00|
|White > 50%||1.00||1.10||1.10||1.10||1.00|
|Soul Form||White > 75%||1.0||1.20||1.20||1.20||1.00|
|White > 50%||1.00||1.10||1.10||1.10||1.00|
|Black < -50%||0.95||1.00||1.00||1.00||1.00|
|Black < -90%||0.90||1.00||1.00||1.00||1.00|
Character Tendency Effect on Weapons
Apart from affecting the parameters of the player's character, it also affects certain weapons in the game, depending on the spiritual standing of your character. Later in the game, you can find three Weapons that can be used to measure your CT, and these weapons are the Demonbrandt, Soulbrandt, and the Northern Regalia. These weapons can grant bonuses that are based on your current CT. You'll see the bonus values of the mentioned weapons that are listed in the table below.
|Weapon Name||Base Value||Bonus Attacks based on CT from Pure Black (-100%) to Pure White (+100%)|
|Northern Regalia||PhyAtk +135||+135||+108||+81||+54||+27||0||+27||+54||+81||+108||+135|