Demon's Souls (Remake)
Sony Japan Studio
|Publisher||Sony Interactive Entertainment|
Demon's Souls is an action role-playing game originally developed by FromSoftware for the PlayStation®3 back in 2009. It was directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki and published by From Software (Japan) & SIE Japan Studio. However, during the PlayStation®5 reveal event that was held in June 2020, a remake that is being developed by Bluepoint Games and Sony Japan Studio was announced as a PlayStation®5 exclusive.
Demon's Souls Overview
Set in a dark fantasy world, players take control of a hero who has journeyed to the fictional kingdom of Boletaria, which is being ravaged by a cursed fog that brings forth demons who feast on the souls of mortals. The game was described as a spiritual successor to the King's Field series of games.
The gameplay involves a character-creation system and emphasizes gathering loot through combat with enemies in a non-linear series of varied locations. It has a unique online multiplayer system integrated into the single-player where players can leave useful messages and warnings for other players' single-player game worlds, as well as joining other players in their world to assist and/or kill them.
Demon's Souls Development Concepts
* The concepts listed are related to the original game released back in 2009.
- A high degree of difficulty.
- The objective is to give players a challenge that is rewarding when met.
- The difficulty is something anyone can overcome through observation, strategy, and choice.
- Aiming to provide freedom for the player character.
- Refreshing "learn from your mistakes" theme for the game.
- The analogy for the game is: "Something spicy, but that anyone can enjoy". Whilst happy that the game had international appeal, no special intentions to cater to their tastes. FromSoftware does not feel confident designing based on market data, so they will instead compete by creating a great game.
- Players will die repeatedly, From Software bets its pride on it.
- See Demon's Souls Remake page for more info.
Demon's Souls Gallery