Yuria, the Witch
Tower Knight Archstone
Old Raggedy Set
Ring of Magical Nature
Yuria, the Witch is an NPC in Demon's Souls and Demon's Souls Remake. NPCs are the various characters that are encountered by the player throughout their journey. NPCs provide information, others are quest givers, while some are categorized as Merchants and/or Blacksmiths whom you can trade with or request for certain services.
Yuria practices a dark form of Soul Arts, to the great disapproval of Saint Urbain and his followers.
She was imprisoned by Executioner Miralda under the watchful eye of one of King Allant's Fat Officials, but if she is rescued by the player, becomes one of the two advanced Magic teachers, along with Sage Freke, the Visionary.
Yuria, the Witch Information
- Teaches advanced spells.
- Allows memorization of previously learned Spells. Unlike Sage Freke and his apprentice, she does not require 10 Magic and 10 Intelligence to memorize Spells.
Dialogue from her and Biorr suggests that she has been subject to torture from the Fat Ministers. Inside the tower, she is held captive there are two corpses holding the Ring of Magical Nature and the Ring of the Accursed. The item description of both these rings implies those corpses having been witches. Just like Stockpile Thomas' wife and daughter they have fallen victim to the Fat Ministers. (In Boletarian Palace you find two hung corpses, one holding the Jade Hair Ornament and the other the old ragged robes set. Due to Thomas' dialogue when you give him the ornament it becomes clear that these corpses very likely were his wife and daughter. Again the other corpse holding the same armor set as Yuria suggests that his wife was a witch and that was probably the main reason for their execution.
Despite her use of dark Magic, Yuria is a kind, if timid woman, though she has demonstrated a remarkable temper, the quickest to become hostile out of all the NPCs. After the Slayer of Demons rescue Yuria she becomes infatuated with the protagonist, regardless of gender, going as far as telling that she owes her life to the hero. Sage Freke, the Visionary once stated that Yuria's Magic is weaker than his because it stems from emotion, but no evidence exists that this is the case.
If killed, she will drop the following:
Yuria, the Witch Location: Where to Find Yuria, the Witch
- Boletarian Palace, Tower Knight Archstone, locked in a tower guarded by a Fat Official.
- Video Location: Shown in our walkthrough video N10 at 35:44. Click here to watch it.
- The Nexus (unlocked after rescuing her from Tower Knight Archstone), magicians' corner.
- Firestorm in exchange for Dragon Demon's Soul
- Ignite in exchange for Hard Demon's Soul
- Cursed Weapon in exchange for Silver Demon's Soul
- Soul Thirst in exchange for Yellow Demon's Soul
- Relief in exchange for Pureblood Demon's Soul
- Soulsucker in exchange for Maiden in Black's Demon's Soul
How to rescue Yuria
- This side quest will require the player to have access to the Tower Knight Archstone.
- Remake: You need to equip the FULL Fat Official Set.
- Original: Obtain Iron ring of keys and Official's Cap by killing the two Fat Officials in Tower Knight Archstone.
- Backtrack to the end area of Phalanx Archstone just before the Tower Knight boss fog. In the room with stairs going up into the tower, there is a door which can be unlocked using the Iron ring of keys.
- This leads down to a dungeon below. Defeat the Fat Official down there to obtain the Bloody Iron Key and open the cells to rescue Biorr.
- Go back to the beginning of Tower Knight Archstone, the Bloody Key will unlock the gate in the right alleyway behind the dog carts and fountain.
- Follow the alleys, and eventually the player will arrive at a tower, where on the top floor there is a raised staircase and a watching Fat Official above.
- Equip the Official's Cap as a disguise and the staircase will be lowered. In the Demon's Souls remake, you need to wear the entire Official set. Each piece is dropped by one of the Fat Officials in Stonefang Tunnel.
- Defeat the Fat Official (he will not be hostile until you attack him or remove the hat).
- Unequip the Official's Cap and speak to Yuria to finish the rescue.
- Note: You keep the Official's Cap in New Game+ but you have to find the Iron ring of keys and Bloody Key again.
- Note: Rescuing Biorr is not a necessary trigger for Bloody Key to work. Yuria can be rescued without ever opening Biorr's cell.
Strategies for Fighting
Yuria turns hostile more quickly than other NPCs. When antagonized, she will always cast Firestorm first. From then on, she will attack with Flame Toss if the player is at a distance or Firestorm if the player is at mid-close range. Yuria will rarely pursue you away from her corner unless you step out of her sight range, yet remain nearby; she instead tries to bait you into approaching her so she can attack with Firestorm.
Much like Freke, Yuria never runs out of MP. When turned hostile, she will cast Firestorm up to three times and use Flame Toss constantly for a while, then eventually stop casting. She will begin casting again after a short break, but at a much lower rate.
Yuria, the Witch Dialogue
First encounter (Tower Knight Archstone)
- Heavens, you… You… came to… save me?
Thank you. No, I’m fine. With a little rest, I can soon walk.
- You go on ahead. I do not wish to be a dead weight.
First encounter (Tower Knight Archstone, wearing Official’s Cap)
- What do you want with me? Have you brutes no mercy?
Do as you wish. There are no secrets here; only a tired, emaciated frame.
Nexus, greeting after rescue
- Hello again. You saved me from great agony.
I am sorry, for I cannot offer proper thanks.
If you wish, however, I can teach you magic in trade for Demon souls.
But my witchcraft is of a dark nature, and arouses suspicions.
Why not try the magic of great Sage Freke?
- Once, I lusted after the power offered by Demon souls.
I ventured through the fissure into Boletaria, but became trapped in the Nexus.
Then, the King's executioner, Miralda, chained me up inside that tower.
My thirst for Demon souls is no more.
On the contrary, I find such power dangerous.
Nexus, Yurt entering the nexus after you rescue him
- Do you know Yurt, the silent chief?
He dons pitch black armour, and a helmet with two sharp spikes.
Yurts presence in Boletaria has resulted in the death of many a great hero.
Whatever his motives may be, he is a grave danger to us all.
Do watch out for him. I cannot bear to think of harm coming to you.
- Freke wields a different kind of magic from my witchcraft.
Freke's magic stems from an understanding of the essence of the Demon soul,
while my witchcraft merely channels its energy. If the Demon is cursed, so shall be the witchcraft.
Freke's power comes from human potential, while mine is a dark, dependent art.
Nexus, After End Of The Game Is Unlocked(Defeat All Archdemons)
- I feel great misgivings about Freke.
I was branded a witch at a very young age, and since then, I have been persecuted as a threat to human society.
Although I never had ill-intentions, this black craft of mine is intrinsically evil.
If there is a God, he gave us souls to do good, not to practice witchcraft.
My accusers detested my dark arts for good reason, for the path I have taken is tainted.
This has been one of my realizations since coming to Boletaria.
But I am afraid that Freke, too, has ventured down the wrong path. He has become obsessed with the dark arts.
- Are you certain you wish to learn witchcraft?
It would honour me to assist one such as you, but…
Are you sure?
Open menu after learning/ remembering a spell
- Are you here for more Witchcraft? Very well. I shall help you however I can.
Exit menu before learning/remembering a spell
- I owe my life to you.
If you are ever in need of Witchcraft, speak to me.
It is a dark art, but it is all that I can offer.
Exit menu after learning/remembering a spell
- Thank you. Speak to me again whenever you are in need.
- Thank you. I hope that my witchcraft may be of some help.
Walk away without exiting the menu
- Where are you going?
Yuria, the Witch Notes, Tips, and Trivia
- Voiced by: Jenny Funnel
- Though it is not known if it is an intentional reference or not, Yuria shares the name of Kenshiro's fianceé in Fist of the North Star.
"dark form of Soul Arts"
Almost everywhere i see info about her, there is always a mention of her "implied rape by fat officials". While it does suit both FO and game's tone, what material actually implies it?
>loyal to you
such a tradwife material
Her end of the game speech T-T
“Sage Freke, the Visionary once stated that Yuria's Magic is weaker than his because it stems from emotion, but no evidence exists that this is the case”
This is wrong, he states her magic is a lesser type of miracle which is more of a comparison between her magic and Urbains than his own. Freke is fascinated by Yuria and her abilities and nothing in game suggests that he believes his craft is more advanced than hers.
I rescued her but she didn't appear in the nexus. Maybe she will after rescuing Flek, anyone to confirm ?
They could had screwed uo any ****in thing they wanted... But not Yuria appearance and set... jesus lord it's so ****in bad in the Remake...
Literally the second I aggroed her for Mephistopheles quest she cast firestorm which hit me from behind causing me to get knocked forward and as soon as I was flat out at her feet she did it again and I died, didn’t see that coming.
After saving her my tendency dropped, anyone can confirm?
While the art here is beautiful, it might be more helpful to have an in-game picture of the actual npc?
Btw her clothes look hilarious in the remake, i can't even complain, i just lol when i see it
I've rescued her, removed the official's gear and made sure I had the boss souls. For some reason her spell list is empty. I've seen her list on my other character. So what am I doing wrong?
Tried rescuing her in the remake and only equipped the hat on, because that's how it was in the original. I was so confused as to why it wasn't working lol
Remake conditions added to the page. Feel free to edit if you find more differences!
Is anyone else having trouble getting the fat official to lower the stairs in the remake? I have the official's cap but no matter how long I wait or try he won't lower it.
After playing ds3 and then revisiting this game I just realized that karla's set is almost exactly the same set that yuria wears