The Maiden in Black is an NPC in Demon's Souls and Demon's Souls Remake. NPCs are the various characters that are encountered by the player throughout their journey. NPCs provide information, others are quest givers, while some are categorized as Merchants and/or Blacksmiths whom you can trade with or request for certain services.
The Maiden in Black is said to have once been one of the most powerful Demons in existence. Her ability to harness and manipulate the souls of the player-character certainly seems interesting.
She maintains a direct communion with the Old One, and is even able to lull it back to sleep should the character accept her offer, making her considerably more powerful than it.
The Maiden in Black Information
- Talk to her to increase stats. You cannot upgrade stats until you have beaten the boss of Boletarian Palace Phalanx
- Don't worry about accidentally attacking the Maiden - she'll never become hostile, and, after a short delay, comes back to life when killed.
- If you choose the good game ending, you get the Maiden in Black's Demon's Soul (can be used to purchase the spell Soulsucker from Yuria, the Witch during NG+).
She moves around a bit, but is always visible near the archstones. The places she can be found are:
- Sitting next to the last Archstone you entered
- Standing directly next to Stockpile Thomas
- Standing between Boldwin and the Archstone for Boletarian Palace
- Sitting against a column across the hall from Thomas, towards the Valley of Defilement
- Standing at the edge of the transparent seal in the center floor
- Beside the small statue where you re-appear when you die in The Nexus
- Standing in the center of the stairs leading down to the area with dozens of messages.
The Maiden in Black Location: Where to Find The Maiden in Black
- The Nexus after defeating the boss of Boletarian Palace, Phalanx.
- Video Location: Shown in our walkthrough video at 47:10. Click here to watch it
The Maiden in Black Dialogue
- Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended.
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended,
so the world might be mended.
- This is the Nexus.
It holds together the northern land of Boletaria.
Thou can'st not exit the Nexus, but each of the five Archstones will connect thee to another node.
After beating Phalanx (Boletarian Palace):
- Welcome Back.
The Monumental awaits thee, above. The Monumental will explain the Nexus to thee.
After talking to The Monumental:
- Brave soul, who fears not death.
Prithee, lull the Old One back to its ancient slumber.
(text: The Maiden controls inhuman souls. With this power she may help those who slay Demons.)
What is it? Dost thou seek soul power?
- I understand. Pray forgive me.
Perhaps my opinion of you was wrong, I am sorry.
- I have always been here in this Nexus.
I was here when the Old One awakened, and I will be here when It rests once again.
- So be it.
After all thou requireth strength.
Go forth; touch the Demon inside me. Let these ownerless souls become thine own.
While seeking Soul Power:
- Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
So the world might be mended.
After seeking Soul Power:
- Art thou done? May thine strength help the world be mended.
When approached again:
- Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
Then touch the Demon inside me.
- As for me? I am only here to tend to the flames.
I keep the candles lit and serve the brave Demon slayers who are trapped here.
- I shall await thine return, slayer of Demons. I am here for thee and thee only.
When running off:
- Wait… Where are you…?
- I'm sorry. I cannot die. Not while the Nexus binds me…
After beating all five Archdemons:
- Hark, I hear a voice of yore. The Old One is calling for thee. Let us proceed below to its lair.
- Old one, I have brought thee what thou wisheth. Thine new Demon. Come, now, be good.
- Let us proceed below to its lair.
After beating King Allant:
- Thine work is done.
Slayer of Demons, go back above. The Nexus shall imprison thee no longer.
I shall lull the Old One back to slumber.
- The Old One and I shall slumber interminably. That is the way it must be.
Thou may'st go. Be gone to thine world.
- My thanks.
At last… at last… my duty is fulfilled…
The Maiden in Black Notes, Tips, and Trivia
- She does not become hostile when attacked and, while in the Nexus, resurrects shortly after being killed. Killing her does not grant souls, although the Soul Sucker attack still earns souls when used on her.